A new workshop, a new chapter..

Image

The approach to the island workshop, a 1920s boatyard built for repairing Thames lighter vessels. The boat moorings here are tidal.

I decided to set myself up in a workshop nearer to my brazing job at the Brompton bicycle factory.  The building is an old boatyard on a small island on the tidal Thames in west London.

Image

Original heavy machinery still features on the island.

Image

My unit – compact, but everything I need in an inspiring setting.

Image

Still some organising to do, but it’s taking shape.

Image

The cockpit – I really like the atmosphere here – skilled yet modest craftsmen come and go in the building and the light and changing tides alter the feeling of the place daily.

Image

Finding a place for everything took time but it’ll pay off.

I thought it was about time that I bought myself a decent torch.

Image

I bought this old Harris 19-2 torch set on ebay the moment I saw it.

Image

Decades old, but never been lit. Even has a cutting head. I am based at a working boatyard, so you never know, I may find a use for it.

Image

I found some reverse flow check valves for it too. Obviously I’m already using flashback arrestors.

Image

Harris is a US company, but my torch is made in Italy under licence as “Harris Europa”.  It’s really nice to use and very quiet.

In my day job as a production brazer at Brompton, we use injector-type torches which are great for use with gas fluxers as they really help to push the braze forward and shape the beads with their added thrust.  I believe that my Harris torch here is what is known as an “equal pressure” torch, which gives a slightly gentler flame that’s easy to control and should be good for making smooth concave fillets.

I’ve also decided to restore an old Honda CD200 motorbike as a project so that my commute to the bike factory and errands to and from the workshop might be more practical.  Sorry if this appears off-topic, but I was without a workshop and a torch for a good few months..

The countershaft was worn where the front sprocket mounts, so I thought I’d rebuild the engine and replace any other worn parts, seals, piston rings, etc.

Image

Worn shaft (top) and replacement.

Image

Now to transfer the gears..

Image

Laying all the bits out – checking against a diagram is important.

Image

Rebuilt gearbox put back together in the crankcase half.

Image

Top view with gasket in place.

The swingarm on the bike was pretty rusty – after shotblasting it looked pretty sketchy so I cut away some steel to reveal the extent of it all.  I found a big hole in the tubing inside:

Didn't fancy riding this too far..

Didn’t fancy riding this too far..

I found it impossible to find a replacement swingarm that was in good condition, and so I bought a used but rust-free US CM200 Twinstar swingarm which is very similar, but I’d have to swap over the driveside fork end (my bike has a bigger spindle to mount a cush drive) and a few other small mounts for the chainguard, etc.

Image

I also decided to remake one of the welded-on plates as the rustworm had made it pretty flimsy:

Marking out the template in new steel.

Marking out the template in new steel.

Then I drilled inside the lines on the drill press.

Then I drilled inside the lines on the drill press.

And cut and filed it to shape.

platecut copy

Nearly there.

Brazedplate copy

I brazed it all together with my ace new torch.

fluxoff copy

I soaked the flux off in a bucket of water.

brazedetail copy

seemed to go pretty well.

Alignment copy

Alignment was good enough.

it'll be powdercoated with the frame and then I'll push new pivot bushes in.

The finished swingarm. It’ll be powdercoated with the frame and then I’ll push new pivot bushes in.

I promise my next post will be purely pushbike related!

Bye for now,

Matt

Advertisements